Recipe: Appetizing Vickys Greek-Style Rice Moussaka, GF DF EF SF NF Vegan
Vickys Greek-Style Rice Moussaka, GF DF EF SF NF Vegan. find vegetarian recipes for all occasion, from easy veggie lunch ideas to dinner party inspiration. pick from comforting dishes including vegetarian curries, casseroles and pasta, as with ease as healthy meat-free mains and salads.
You can have Vickys Greek-Style Rice Moussaka, GF DF EF SF NF Vegan using 21 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Vickys Greek-Style Rice Moussaka, GF DF EF SF NF Vegan
- You need 2 of medium aubergine / eggplant.
- You need 1 of salt as required, you'll need a fair amount.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 100 grams of white mushrooms, finely sliced.
- You need 6 of spring onions / scallions, finely sliced.
- It’s 2 clove of garlic, crushed.
- You need 2 tbsp of dry white wine.
- It’s 400 grams of can of chopped tomatoes.
- Prepare 2 tsp of tomato puree / paste.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- You need 1 tsp of sugar.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of finely chopped fresh parsley.
- You need 375 grams of cooked short-grain white rice.
- You need 2 tbsp of parmesan-style cheese, finely grated (I use vegan brand Veganic).
- Prepare of Sauce.
- You need 60 grams of sunflower spread / butter.
- You need 50 grams of corn starch / cornflour.
- It’s 320 ml of light coconut milk.
- It’s 120 ml of coconut cream.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of parmesan-style cheese, grated.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg.
Vickys Greek-Style Rice Moussaka, GF DF EF SF NF Vegan step by step
- Slice the aubergine into half cm thick rounds.
- Place in a colander or strainer, generously sprinkle with salt and let stand for 30 minutes so the salt draws out the bitter moisture.
- Rinse the slices well under cold water then pat dry.
- Heat half of the oil in a pan and cook off the garlic, onion and mushrooms until softened.
- Add the wine and stir in, cooking until it has evaporated. Add the can of chopped tomatoes, puree, cinnamon, sugar and parsley.
- Simmer uncovered until slightly reduced then stir in the cooked rice and parmesan and remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile drizzle the other half of the oil into a baking tray and rub each aubergine slice in it. Put under the grill / broiler until each side is lightly coloured.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4 / 180C / 350°F.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter over a medium heat and stir in the corn starch.
- Gradually add in the milk and cream, whisking continuously until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the parmesan.
- Grease a 2 litre casserole dish. Place 1/3 of the aubergine slices over the bottom.
- Spread 1/2 of the rice mixture on top.
- Repeat by layering 1/2 of the remaining aubergine slices, the rest of the rice mixture then top with the last of the aubergine.
- Pour the sauce on top and sprinkle with the nutmeg. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.